Sunday, March 8, 2009

Zanzibar















Zanzibar is a small island off the coast of Tanzania with an amazing history. The photo that I have taken is of the most beautiful beach that I have seen called Pajé on the east coast of the island. I visited this island during my gap year in 2008 and this expedition was part of my community service program. The scenery was amazingly beautiful, the water was warm and had the most stunning marine life. The history of Zanzibar itself is very interesting; Zanzibar was believed to be the capital of Persia between the 12th and 15th century and acted as a trading post supplying slaves, gold, ivory and wood between Africa and the Middle East. Eventually the Portuguese took control in the early 16th century until it became part of the United Republic of Tanzania in 1964. Today Zanzibar is a small fishing island that attracts thousands of tourists due to the pure beauty and serenity of its coastline, as highlighted in my photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment